Friday, January 14, 2011

Cruel Writes

I am about to finish "Soul Mirror" by Carol Berg and I have had a realization; Authors are terrible horrible people.  They inflict such torment upon the characters of their mind as to make me - humble reader - fear for life and limb.  I can't help but think of the movie "Stranger than Fiction" about an author who basically torments a man because he's actually the main character of her book.  I never want to be a main character...or one of those expendable side characters that wanders off in the opposite direction of Spock only to be eaten by the alien of the week.

Perhaps this is why I am as yet not an accomplished author.  I don't have the cold, callus, and ever calculating cruelty to inflict interesting pain upon my characters...they are my friends!

1 comment:

  1. I see and know what you mean. I sometimes think that is why I haven't had a whole story walk into my brain ... I lack the disconnection required to kill them. And as you know that was my pet peeve with Stephanie Meyer; heaven forbid that someone die or even be damaged too profoundly. Ok, um yeah. I too shall follow suit. Writer's blogs for everyone ... or at least us.

    ReplyDelete